Albert Einstein said: “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” And boy, was he right!
Business leaders should have seen the warning signs of The Great Resignation over the past twenty years. Still, unfortunately, many were surprised when valued employees up and left in search of better, more meaningful opportunities.
The business world looks a whole lot different now than it did twenty years ago, or even two years ago! There has been a massive change in global business at an unparalleled speed and dimension relating to the economy, employment, immigration, outsourcing, and globalisation.
Leaders who want to stay competitive in a digital, rapidly changing workforce will develop a global mindset. But what exactly does a ‘‘global mindset’’ really mean?
What Is a Global Mindset?
- Having an openness to learning
- The ability to adapt to new cultures
- Versatility to adopt a universal way of leading
- Leaders with a global mindset use their knowledge about their culture and the cultures of others to react to any situation in the most productive way.
How to Adopt a Global Mindset
- Discover and examine your values and biases in different cultural influences that span your life.
- Develop a solid sense of self-awareness and foster a non-judgmental perspective on differences
- Learn more about hiring remote employees in other countries and overall business expectations of other countries and markets
- Shift your attention away from yourself to learn about the everyday workplace habits, expectations and best practices in other countries and cultures.
- Engage with people from other parts of the world to develop a global mindset.
- Remember that the ability to form connections across cultures is not a given. Still, the more positive intercultural relationships you develop, the more comfortable you’ll be with different work styles and the less you’ll resort to stereotyping.
While you cannot know everything about every culture, you can access on-demand insights on doing business effectively from various online resources and digital learning platforms.
Think about how you can schedule meetings during lunchtime in other countries. Do you know when the weekend is in specific countries?
How should you establish credibility during an appointment with a potential client in another country? You can also widen your base by looking for opportunities that will expose you to countries or markets important to your business development.
The Importance of a Global Mindset
A global mindset allows leaders to move beyond pre-existing behaviour and stereotypes and function effectively with the differences and diversity they encounter in the global business world.
By adopting a global mindset, leaders can grasp the ability to search for unexpected trends and opportunities that expand and refine a person’s points of view. It is a combination of self-awareness, openness to different cultures, and an appreciation of differences.
But as you may know by now, we are kinda experts in HR solutions and finding the perfect sweet spots that keep all parties happy.
No matter what work solution you choose for your organisation, Playroll is here to hold your hand through the process.